Argyle Country Club originated in 1923 in Washington, DC when the Argyle Tennis Club merged with the Brightwood Caddie's Association. The club property was approximately bounded by Georgia
Ave., Kennedy St., New Hampshire Ave., and Buchanan St., NW. After about one year at the DC location, the club moved to Sligo Creek in Silver Spring, Maryland where the land was leased from the Argyle Land Company.
The Sligo facility had nine holes of golf and several tennis courts. An old farmhouse served as a clubhouse where light food was served. Operations at this location ceased in 1945 when several of the stockholders, knowledgeable in real estate, gathered a majority of the stock and sold the property for a good profit to Montgomery County for use as a public course that still exists as Sligo Golf Course.
In December, 1945, a new Argyle Land Company was formed and the present location of approximately 150 acres was purchased from Mr. and Mrs. Roland McKenzie. A non-profit subsidiary was formed with a common board of directors and common ownership. The primary reason for the separate incorporation was the tax advantage in having the operating corporation one which organized for social purposes rather than for profit. Over a period of time, membership in the country club changed and the two boards were no longer identical.
At the time of the purchase, the property was an operating dairy farm. The barn became the clubhouse utilizing the hay loft for locker rooms, the milking shed for office space, and the stanchion area as the main lounge. Initially, no food was served and the furnishings were very rudimentary.
Over time, improvements were made. The grill room, which began as a deck, was enclosed. The pool and proshop were added in the mid 1950's, and the tennis courts were built in 1978. A major renovation in 1967 enlarged the clubhouse, eliminating it's barn-like appearance.
It required about $27,000 to get Argyle Country Club started at the present location. The first year of operation, membership dues were $4 per month. The initiation fee of $50 was waived if a prospective member owned at least two shares of Argyle Land Company stock. The original plan was to have the club members own the property. Emphasis was placed on getting the stock into the hands of as many club members as possible so as to avoid a repeat of the sellout that occurred at the Sligo location.
The golf course was designed by Mr. Perc Le Duc and opened as a nine hole layout. During the process of establishing a full eighteen hole layout several variations of holes were utilized. While memories are fuzzy on exactly what holes were where and when, a general recollection goes something like the following: Initially, all holes were on the clubhouse side of the creek. The first hole played basically as it does today. Number two was a par three with the green near the location of the current fairway traps. The third tee was in the woods beside the present number nine lake and played to the current sixth green. The fourth hole played from the present seventh tee to eighth green and number nine served as the fifth hole. Present holes ten, eleven and twelve were numbers six, seven and eight. The course finished with number nine, the current eighteenth. Within a couple of years, other holes were completed and the full eighteen was established. Several modifications have been made to the course over the years including changes to tees and greens and the addition of the lakes (except #5 lake which existed on the property).
The philosophy in creating the club was to provide golf for the working man and his family. It was not a socially minded club, but rather a no frills, utilitarian, reasonably priced club facility offering top - notch golf. From the beginning, members volunteered their time on the property doing jobs ranging from collecting rocks on the golf course to light carpentry work in the clubhouse. Some members donated trees and shrubs.
With an of overall membership of approximately 550 families today Argyle Country Club provides first-class leisure and enjoyment in a family environment. Here, your family can engage in a range of activities - from golf, swimming and tennis, to dining, socializing and networking.